The Blue Screen of Death or BSOD is hated by everyone because the BSOD error only appears when there is something wrong with the Windows Operating system. The BSOD is the signal of the corrupted system files or the hardware issues, that made the system unstable. The Blue Screen of Death comes with many error messages which give us the hint of the error that caused the BSOD to appear on the screen. The DPC watchdog violation is one such error message.
The DPC_Watchdog_violation Windows 10 is the standard error message appearing on the BSOD. Many users are frequently facing system shutdowns and the BSOD and seeing this error message on their screens. If you are the one who is facing the DPC Watchdog Violation error, then you should follow the methods mentioned in this post.
What is DPC Watchdog Violation Error in Windows 10?
The DPC Watchdog Violation is the error that appears on the Blue Screen of Death in Windows 10. The DPC means the Deferred Procedure Call, which is the mechanism in the Windows Operating System, which deferred the High-priority tasks over the Low-priority Tasks. The main reason behind this error message is the Unsupported SSD Firmware, Unsupported Storage Device Format, Corrupted Solid State Drive or the Corrupted System files.
If you see the DPC_Watchdog_violation Windows 10 error, then the first thing you should immediately do is to check if the Solid State Drive in your computer is connected correctly, have updated Firmware and not corrupted at all.
How to Fix DPC Watchdog Violation Error in Windows?
Common issues in Windows 10 comes with many solutions. Here, we are going to share some working methods to fix the DPC_Watchdog_Violation Windows 10 error within minutes. Instead of wasting time by sending your PC to a Computer Technician, follow these methods and fix the problem by yourselves.
Method 1: Update SATA AHCI Controller Driver
The SATA Drivers are responsible for controlling the Connected Internal Storage Devices like the Hard Disk Drives and Solid State Drivers. As this issue is related to the Solid State Drives, we should update these drivers to fix this problem.
- First of all, press “Windows key + X” key combination on the keyboard and choose “Device Manager” from the Start Menu options.
- In the Device Manager, find the “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers” Drop-down menu. Click on it to reveal the “Standard SATA AHCI Controllers”. Right-click on it and select “Properties”.
- In the Properties, switch to the “Drivers” tab and click on “Update Driver”.
- Now, click on “Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software” and let Windows choose the updated drivers for SATA AHCI Controllers. The installation process will take a few moments to find and install the drivers.
- Once installed, Reboot your computer and see if the issue arises again or not.
Method 2: Scan SSD For Corruption
The low-level system files corruption on SSD might be the issue behind dpc_watchdog_violation error in Windows. So, we should check the SSD for corruption. Here are the steps to check if the Disk is corrupted or not.
- First of all, open the Command Prompt with Administrative Access. To do that, open the Start Menu, Search for “CMD” and right-click on the Search Result and select “Run as Administrator”.
- In the elevated Command Prompt, type following command and press ENTER to start the CHKDSK Tool.
- Now, the Windows will scan the C:/ Drive for any sort of corruption. If there is any, you’ll see that in Command Prompt.
- You can change the “C:” with the Drive or Partition Letter you want to scan.
Method 3: Turn OFF The Fast Startup
The Fast Startup is the feature in Windows Operating System that neglects the low-priority services at the startup and making your system boot faster than usual. But, the same Fast Startup feature may be the reason behind watchdog violation windows 10 error. So, we are going to Turn OFF the Fast Startup.
- First of all, open the Control Panel from Start Menu and Search for “Power Option” and open it.
- In the Power Options, click on “Choose What the Power Button Does” option from left-pane.
- Now, click on “Change Settings that are currently Unavailable” option. You may need to provide Administrative access.
- It’s time to Turn OFF this feature. Uncheck the “Turn on Fast Startup (Recommended)” option and click on “Save Changes” button.
- Restart the computer to let these changes take effect and you are good to use your computer without seeing the BSOD again. You should also check Set CPU Priority to Prefer Foreground Apps if these three methods don’t work.
These are some of the best methods to fix the DPC Watchdog Violation Windows 10 error. The Blue Screen of Death is the nightmare for most of the casual computer users. But, the methods I’ve mentioned in this post are pretty good and working very well to fix this problem. I hope you learned how to fix the watchdog violation problem in Windows 10 very well. Please comment below if you fixed the issue after following these methods or facing any other issues while following these techniques.