The Windows operating system is incomplete with its Background services. There are tons of services running in the background that ensures the stable operations of the computer and supports every function of the operating system. Well, the Windows may have some little issue that may cause the interruptions in system function. Most of the times, windows users see the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High Disk usage issue which interrupts the essential tasks running on the system.
The High Disk usage affects the overall speed of your computer. So, you are not able to run the apps at a blazing fast speed that you are used to doing. The Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry is the background service in Windows 10 operating system that ensures the proper functioning of a system. But if the same service is eating almost everything of your Disk bandwidth, then you should know there is something wrong with the computer. In this post, we are sharing some working solutions to fix the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High Disk usages issue in Windows 10 operating system.
- 1 What is the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Service?
- 2 How to Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Windows 10 High Disk Usage Problem?
- 3 Final Words
What is the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Service?
The Windows 10 operating system communicates with the Microsoft and sends the critical data. The Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Service manages the collection and relay of essential data on your computer like the Errors, Bugs, and the unexpected shutdowns, etc. This service is vital to keep the Windows 10 Operating System stable. If you are seeing the Microsoft Compatibility telemetry High Disk, then you should know there is something wrong going on in your system that’s why the service is relaying a significant amount of data to Microsoft Servers.
How to Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Windows 10 High Disk Usage Problem?
The Telemetry Service high disk usage may cause significant issues while you are using the system. The first thing you’ll notice the slow speed of the computer. It’s okay if the system slows down for some time or when you are doing high-intensity work. But if the Telemetry Service is continuously using the High Disk, then you need to follow the methods to fix this problem. Here are some of the best and working methods to fix this issue permanently.
Method 1: Use Group Policy Editor to Disable the Service
The Group Policy Editor covers the important services and processes and manages them. If we disable the CompaTtelRunner.exe service, then we can quickly fix this issue within a few seconds. Here are the steps that’ll lead you to fix the CompatTelRunner.exe service.
- First of all, open the RUN window by pressing “Windows + R” key combination on the keyboard and then type “gpedit.msc” in the text field and Press ENTER to open the Group Policy Editor.
- In the Group Policy Editor, you’ll see a list of few folders in the Left-pane. Navigate to Following Path from the Left-pane.
- Now, you’ll see the bunch of Group Policies in the Right-side pane.
- Double-click on the “Allow Telemetry” policy and click on “Disabled” to disable this service. After doing that, click on “Apply” button and then “OK” button.
- After completing all three steps, just Restart your computer to let these changes take effect.
Once you are done with these methods, you will not see this issue again. If you are unable to fix this issue even after following this method, then move on to another way.
Method 2: Change Registry Value with Registry Editor
The Registry Values define the commands or orders on running the service or not. The Registry Editor Values are going to fix the CompatTelRunner high disk usage issue.
- First of all, open the RUN Window by pressing “Windows key + R” key combination on your keyboard. Type “regedit” and press ENTER to open the Registry Editor.
- In the Registry Editor, you’ll see a bunch of folders in the Left-pane just like the Group Policy Editor. Navigate to the Following Path from Left-pane.
- Now, you’ve successfully navigated to the “DataCollection” folder. On the right pane, right-click anywhere in the blank space and click on “New >> DWORD (32-Bit) Value”.
- In the Value name field, type “Allow Telemetry” and in the Value field, type “0” as value and Click “OK”.
- That’s it! Now Restart your computer and you’ve successfully fixed the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry High Disk issue within seconds.
Also Read: How to Fix DPC Watchdog Violation Error in Windows
Method 3: Disable the Services
If any of the methods mentioned above are not working for you, then this one will definitely work. In this method, we are permanently disabling this service for good. Here are the steps that’ll guide you to do so.
- First of all, open the RUN Windows by pressing “Windows key + R” key combination and then type “taskschd.msc” and press ENTER.
- In the Task Scheduler Window, Navigate to the following Path.
- On the right pane, you’ll find few services. Find the “Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser (CompatTelRunner.exe)” service.
- Right-click on the services and click “Disable” to disable this service permanently.
- Now, go to the Task Manager by pressing “Ctrl + Shift + Esc” key combination on the keyboard and see if the issue is fixed or not.
That’s it! That was all about the Methods to Fix Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry Windows 10 High Disk Error. We tried our best to explain What is the Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry service and why it consumes such a high amount of Disk Bandwidth.
I hope you found these methods to fix the CompatTelRunner.exe High Disk error useful. If you are facing any issues while following these methods or have any doubts, then please make a comment below.